Charlotte Training School & Charlotte High School
Charlotte Training School, opened its doors to students on
February 12, 1928 after the community had raised $7000 to fund the
building of the school.
After a decade of service, Ambassador David K. E. Bruce donated the funds necessary for the construction of a successor to the Training School,
to be designated as Charlotte High School.
In the late 1990's the citizens of Charlotte County embarked on a project to plan and fund a museum dedicated to the goal of documenting the long
unrecognized history and culture of African-Americans in Charlotte County. In 1997 the Board of Supervisors for Charlotte, along with the School Board,
put forth and approved a plan to house the museum in the former Central High School one-room library. The remainder of the building is home to an early
childhood learning center.